False Prophets and False Teachers
Questions for Study 2
2 Peter 2:1-22
Memory Verse: 2:1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
I. Many Will Follow Their Shameful Ways (2:1-3)
1. Can we believe every preacher, Bible teacher, prophecy, ink, and tongue? (1) Are false believers easily identifiable? Is it possible for someone to introduce false teachings in your congregation? What will happen to someone who continually teaches something contrary to what is written in a good Bible translation? (1b, 3b)
2. What are two effects of false teachers? (2) What is a big motivator behind false teachers? (3a; and 1 Thessalonians 2:3) Why does God allow this to happen? (James 1:12; 1 Thessalonians 2:4)
II. The Lord Knows How To Rescue Godly Men (2:4-12)
3. What are some similarities between the angels, the ancient world, and Sodom and Gomorrah as mentioned in verses 4-7 and 10?
4. What are some similarities between Noah and Lot? (8; Gen. 6:9) What can we learn from them who also lived among false teachers, those in verses 4-7?
5. What does Peter reveal about God's character from his dealings with Noah and Lot? (9) What does it mean "to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment"? What does it mean "to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment"? (Dan. 7:9-10; Rev. 20:11-15) What can we learn from this about the near future of the righteous? (Matt. 24:10-1; and 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17; Rev. 20:4-6)
6. Who are angels more stronger than? (11) When do we know of a time that an angle did not slander another? (Jude 1:8-10)
7. Who are the men in verse 12? (Reread verse 1.) Why don't they understand some things even though they are teachers? (John 15:26, 16:13-15)
III. Slaves of Depravity (2:13-22)
8. What characteristics are displayed in false teachers? (13-14) What can be learned from Balaam? (15-16)
9. Who are most susceptible to false teachers? (17-18) Why then is the responsibility of those who know the truth so important? (Titus 1:8-9)
10. What is the main theme of these false teachers? (19) Were they always false teachers? (20-22) How are they different than the righteous?