The Day of the Lord
Questions for Study 3
2 Peter 3:1-18
Memory Verse: 14
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
I. Where is This Coming (3:1-8)
1. What is the intent of this letter and 1 Peter? How does Peter lead us to wholesome thinking? (2) How does this help us understand the importance of Holy Spirit filled Bible study?
2. What is a scoffer? What do they follow? What does it mean by "in the last days"? (3, 8; Psalm 90:4; John 6:39-40; Heb. 1:2)
3. What are scoffers saying in our generation and why do they say it? (4; Matt. 26:64; Luke 18:8; John 14:2-3; Acts 1:9-11) What does the past teach us about the absolute nature of God's word? (5-7; Matt. 24:35) What is the future of the present heavens and earth?
II. Come Like a Thief (3:9-10)
4. Why hasn't Jesus come yet? (9) Since Peter is writing believers and saying Jesus is patient with us, what can we learn from this verse and verse 15? (Matt. 24:14)
5. What is the day of the Lord? (10a; and 2 Thess. 2:1-2; and 1 Thess. 5:1-2) What is it compared to? (Matt. 24:42-44; Rev. 16:15) Who is the Lord Jesus taking from and what is he taking? (John 10:2-3; 14:30-31; 15:19)
6. What does the elements being destroyed by fire remind you of? Why should we not put hope in this world, no matter how it looks now?
III. Live Holy and Godly Lives (3:11-18)
7. What kind of life should we live? (11-12, 14)
8. Is our home in this world? (13; Heb. 11:13-16)
9. What does he equate Paul's letters with? What kind of people distort Scriptures?
10. What does the fact that Peter warns us tell us about what could happen? (17) How can we stop this from happening to us? (18)