The Coming of the Day of the Lord
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 18
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF BABYLON.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. Title (1:1-3)
1. Who did the word of the Lord come to and when? What shocking word was revealed in verses 2 and 3? How might Josiah, Judah's king receive this message? What does it tell us?
II. Against Judah (1:4-13)
2. What did the prophecy say about God's chosen nation? What dual belief did they profess? What did Jesus have to say about this? (Matt. 7:21-23)
3. What is the day of the Lord? (7a) What was prepared for that day? (7b-9) What will happened on that day?
4. What sounds will be heard on the day of the Lord? (10-11) Why?
5. Who are the complacent? (12) What will happen to them on that day? (13) How did Jesus give a similar warning? (Luke 18:22-30; John 12:23-26)
III. The Great Day of the Lord (1:14-2:3)
6. What is near and coming quickly? How is it described in verse 15? What will be sounded? (Numbers 10:1-10; Joshua 6:1-20) How will Jesus second coming be like this? (Matt. 24:30-31; Isaiah 27:12-13; and 1 Thess. 4:13-18; and 1 Cor. 15:50-54) What other events in history foreshadowed this? (Ex. 19-20 with Hebrews 12:18-29; Joshua 5-6)
7. Why will the Great Day of the Lord come? (17) What will happen to them? Will what they trusted in save them? (18) Who is this prophecy about?
8. Who does the prophecy shift to? (2:1-2) What advice are they given?
9. What are the humble to do? (3) What does Jesus say about this?
10. What does Jesus say to us? (Rev. 3:14-22)