Jesus Christ the Power and Wisdom of God
Questions for Study 1
1 Corinthians 1:1-2:5
Memory Verse: 24
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
I. Greetings (1:1-9)
1. Who is the sender of this letter? How does he identify himself? Why has he been appointed this? Who was with him? (Acts 18:17)
2. Which congregation is called out as the recipient and how did he hear the gospel? (2a, 2:1; Acts 18:1-5, 11) How are they identified? What does this personally mean to you? Who is addressed? What does God's grace and peace mean to you? (3)
3. What was Paul thankful for? (4-6) Why was it important to know that the gospel spoken to them was confirmed? What do we eagerly wait for? How can one be made and then remain blameless before that day?
II. Agree With One Another (1:10-17)
4. What problem arose in the Corinthian congregation? (10) what are some ways divisions can occur in a congregation? What does it mean to be "united in mind and thought"?
5. What was the source of quarrels at Corinth? (11-12) What answer to the questions in verse 13 could have avoided the quarrels?
6. What was Paul thankful for and why? (14-16) To Paul, what was his first priority? (17, 15:1-8; Mark 16:15-16)
III. Boast in the Lord (1:18-2:5)
7. What are two ways that people see Jesus' crucifixion? (18-19) What two wisdoms are there and what is the outcome of each? (20-21) How is God's way to know him, Christ crucified, a stumbling block to miracle and/or wisdom seekers? (22-23) What do both fail to accept? (24-25)
8. Take a sincere look at what you were like before Christ called you considering verse 26. What are the three reasons that God chose such things according to verses 27-29? What is the final reason from our perspective? (29)
9. What is the only way to be in christ Jesus? (30) Who then is Jesus to true believers? What does it mean in more detail? Can you or anyone then say that they came to know God through their own power or wisdom? (31)
10. What simple way can and should the gospel be preached? (2:1, 3-4a) Who is the core of the gospel? (2) Who really makes it possible for anyone to hear the gospel and why? (4b-5) Can you preach the gospel this way? (John 4:28-30, 39-42)