The Coming of the King
Questions for Study 4
Memory Verse: 9:9
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM BABYLON TIMES TO ROMAN OCCUPATION OF JUDAH.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE.
I. The Coming of the King (9:1-17)
1. Who is the Lord against? (1-2, 5-7a, 7c) What useless things did they trust their future to? (3-4) Who will be left? (7b) What does the Lord promise them? (8)
2. What did Zechariah predict about Jesus' first coming? (9; Matt. 21:1-11) What did he predict about Jesus second coming? (10) What did the Lord promise he would do because of the blood of his covenant? (11-13; Matt. 26:27-28)
3. What will happen when Jesus comes from above? (14-15; Mark 14:61-62; Acts 1:11; Rev. 19:11-16) What will his flock be like on that day? (16-17) How is this repeated in 1 Cor. 15:50-53?
II. The Lord Will Care for Judah and Ephraim (10:1-11:3)
4. How is life with and without the Lord different? (1-2) How is Jesus leadership better than false shepherds? (3; John 10:11-13) How is victory possible with Jesus? (4-5; and 1 Cor. 15:54-57)
5. What motivates the Lord? (6) What does he promise the Ephraimites? (7-10) Who are the Ephraimites? (2:11-12; Gen. 46:20, 48:5-6, 19-20, 49:22-27)
6. What else does the Lord say about Ephraim? (11) After trouble what is promised them? (12) How does Jesus give similar words? (John 16:33)
7. What will happen to Lebanon? (11:1-3)
III. Two Shepherds (11:4-17)
8. How might have the people who just returned from exile receive the message in verses 4-6? What does verse 7-9 mean?
9. Why did the Lord break the staff called Favor? (10-11) What foretold Judas' rejection of his shepherd? (12-13; Matt. 26:14-16, 27:3-10)
10. What did the Lord do with the second staff? (14) What does foolish shepherd's do? (15-16; John 10:8, 10-13) What will happen to such shepherds?