The Day of the Lord
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 15
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. Edom's Destruction Announced (1:1-7)
1. Who was Obadiah? (1) What is a vision? Who is Edom and what was predicted of them? (See the introduction.)
2. What was the source of their pride? (3) Where they as safe as they believed? (4) What does this say about pride?
3. What are the obvious answers to the questions in verse 5? Will this be true of Esau's descendants? (6) Are all possible human preparations enough to protect us? (7, Luke 12:18-21)
II. Edom's Destruction Reaffirmed (1:8-14)
4. What does "in that day" mean? Can we trust in our wisdom to save us? (8b-9) What or who should we trust in? (John 14:1-4)
5. What would be the cause of Edom's destruction? (10) When their "brothers" who lived next to them were in need did they help them? (11) Instead what did they do? What can be learned?
6. What three sins are mentioned in verse 13? What two more sins are mentioned in verse 14? Why are these true?
III. The Day of the Lord (1:15-21)
7. What is "the day of the LORD"? What will happen in it according to verse 15? What does verse 16 mean? Is this news for all nations even today?
8. Where is Mount Zion? How is Jesus deliverance good news to all the nations? Who is the house of Jacob and the house of Joseph? (18) How are their interaction with Esau and people like them?
9. Who are the people of the Negev and the foothills? (19) What is promised the exiles?
10. Who are the deliverers? What will they do? When will this happen? What final hope is given?