Deborah, Prophetess and Leader
Questions for Study 4
Memory Verse: 3:1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S JUDGES.
I. Deborah Sends for Barak (4:1-10)
1. What did the third generation do after Joshua died? (1) How was the Lord's response full of grace and truth? (2) Compare how long this lasted to the previous two? (3; 3:8, 14)
2. How is Deborah described? (4-5) How did God use her to call Barak? (6-7) How is this different than the previous two times? (3:10, 15) What can we learn about the Lord's work with Israel despite their tendency to sin?
3. How did Barak respond? (8) What can be learned from Deborah's response? (9-10)
II. The Lord Has Given Sisera Into Your Hands (4:11-16)
4. Who were the Kenites? (11) What had they become? (12-13)
5. How did the battle go? (14) How does this show a common way the Lord works on behalf of his people?
6. Did Barak stop when the enemy fled? (15-16) When the Lord is blessing our labors for the advancement of the gospel what can we learn from Barak? (2 Cor. 10:2-6) What can be learned about the Lord who was with Barak?
III. God Subdued Jabin (4:17-24)
7. Where did Sisera try to hide? (17) What did Jael do? (18) Why might she give him milk? (19)
8. Did Sisera feel secure? (20) What did Jael do when Sisera fell asleep? (21)
9. What did Jael show Barak? (22) How was this a fulfilment of Deborah's words? (9a) What can we learn about living by faith? (2 Cor. 5:6-10)
10. Who had granted victory to Israel? (22-24) What should we remember as we fight the spiritual fight? (John 14:15-21)