Jesus, the Light of the World
Questions for Study 10
Key Verse: 8:12
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM IN JESUS' TIME.
I. Jesus Saves a Condemned Woman (8:1-11)
1. After participating in the last and greatest day of the Feast and hearing Jesus' testimony that he is the streams of living water, where did the people go? Where did Jesus go, and how did he probably spend the night?
2. When did Jesus return to the temple courts, and who was there? What did Jesus do?
3. Who interrupted his teaching, and how? What did they tell him about the woman? What question did they ask Jesus? How was this a trap?
4. What did Jesus do? Why did he wait before answering? What did he say? How did his words expose their hypocrisy? What did they do, and why?
5. How might this woman have come to live a life like that? What did Jesus say to her? Why did he not condemn her? How did he save her and help her begin a new life? What does this show about Jesus? (3:17; Romans. 8:1)
II. "I am the Light of the World" (12-30)
6. What did Jesus teach about himself? (12) What promise does he give to those who follow him? What does it mean to walk in darkness? Why do the woman and the Pharisees both need this message?
7. Why did the Pharisees not accept his claim about himself? (13, 33)
8. In what respects is Jesus the light of the world? (14b, 14:6) Where is Jesus going? (21-23)
9. What does it mean that the Son of Man will be lifted up? (26; 12:32, 33) How does Jesus the light of the world take away our sin and condemnation and open the way to the Father? (11, 15b, 24, 28, Gal. 3:13)
10. How does Jesus' life and teachings make him the light of the world? (26b, 28, 29) What can we learn from him?