The Call to Build the Temple
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 7
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE.
I. Haggai's Call (1:1)
1. Who was Haggai to deliver this word to? When did this happen and what was happening in the world at this time? (Jer. 25:11-12, 29:10; and 2 Chron. 36:21-23; Dan. 9:1-2, 10:1; Ezra 4:24) What can be learned about Haggai from Ezra 5:1-2 and 6:14-15? Why was it important for Israel to return to the promised land and the temple to be rebuilt?
II. Build the Temple (1:2-11)
2. What were the people saying? (2) Why might have they been making this excuse? (Ezra 3:6, 8, 10, 4:4-5, 23-24, 5:1-2, 5) Why are excuses often an indication of sin? (Gen. 3:10-13) What is the answer to the question the Lord asked in verses 3-4?
3. How was the Lord's first challenge? (5) How is a universal statement, especially to God's people? (Mark 4:9) What should they have recognized? (6)
4. What was the challenge given by the Lord? (7) What were they instructed to do and why? (8, Ezra 3:7) What did the Lord do? (9) Why did he do it? (10)
5. What did the Lord Jesus say about His Temple? (John 2:18-22; Eph. 2:19-22; 1 Peter 2:4-6) How can we apply the words spoken in Haggai's day to our lives? (1 Cor. 6:18-20, 12:4-11)
III. They Obey (1:12-14)
6. How did the people respond to the Lord's rebuke? (12) How was this a sign of their faith?
7. What word of encouragement did they receive when they obeyed? (13) Why might they need to know this?
8. What did the Lord do after they decided to obey? Who can be credited for the building of the temple?
9. How are Jesus' words just before he left like the Lord's words through Haggai? (John 14:15-17) How does this apply to our salvation? (Phil. 2:12-16)