The First to Return
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 4
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE in 500 B.C.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW ISRAEL'S HISTORY FROM BABYLON TO ROMAN TIMES.
I. The Edict of Cyrus (1:1-4)
1. Who was the new world power? (1) Who was the leader?
2. Who was Jeremiah? What did he prophecy? How was the word of the Lord he spoke accomplished? What does it mean that the Lord can move the heart of men, even kings?
3. Who did Cyrus acknowledge for his success? (2) Why did he say the Lord did this?
4. Who was Cyrus referring to when he stated "his people" in verse 3? Was God in Jerusalem as he stated?
5. For God's people who did not go back to Jerusalem to build the temple, what were they told to do? (4) Why might some not want to go back to Judah? Was the decision to stay in the Persian empire wrong or right?
II. The Return Under Sheshbazzar (1:5-11)
6. Who went back to Jerusalem? (5) What did everyone else do? What is a freewill offering?
7. What did Cyrus offer to the effort? (7) Why did Judah loose these important items? (2 Kings 24:1, 12-14)
8. Who did Cyrus entrust them to? (8) What were they? What might Sheshbazzar be concerned about? (11)
III. Those Who Returned (2:1-70)
9. Examine the list of names in verses 1 and 2. Who do you recognize in this list?
10. Consider the rest of the chapter. What problem did some have?