The One Who the Lord Jesus Will Overthrow
Questions for Study 1
2 Thessalonians 1:1-2:12
Memory Verse: 2:13
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION TO 2 THESSALONIANS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE TO LUKE.
I. Greetings (1:1-2)
1. Who is the sender of this letter? Who is the recipient? How are they identified? How did they hear the gospel? (Acts 17:1-4)
2. Where can we obtain grace and peace? Why list both, why that order, and what does this personally mean to you?
II. Thanksgiving for the Thessalonians Faith (1:3-12)
3. Why was Paul thankful? (3) What does the fact that faith can grow imply? What does the fact that love increases imply?
4. What did Paul boast about? (4) What kind of trials and persecutions did they endure? (Acts 17:5-9) How is this an inspiration to us today?
5. How is God's present and future judgement made right in perseverance under persecution? (5) Should we repay persecution with persecution? (6)
6. What does Jesus soon coming mean to believers in him? (7) Where will Jesus come from? What will he look like? Who will come with him? What will many who are alive and see this think is happening?
7. What two "do not" peoples will be punished? (8) What is the threefold nature of their punishment? (Matt. 8:10-12, 13:40-43, 49-50, 22:11-14. 24:48-51, 25:28-30) What will Jesus' coming mean to Jesus' believers, including the Thessalonians who received this letter? (10) How does this fact prompt Paul, Silas and Timothy to pray as it should us to? (11) Why should we pray this? (12)
III. The Man of Lawlessness (2:1-12)
8. What seems to have happened in the congregation at Thessalonica and is still happening today? (2:1-2, 5) What will happen before Jesus comes again? (3) What will the man of lawlessness do? Why hasn't he been revealed yet? (6, 7b) Does this mean that he is not at work now? (7a)
9. What will Jesus do to the lawless one when he comes? How will he do this? Who is behind the lawless one's power? (9-10a) What will he enable the lawless one to do?
10. Why will God punish people? (10b) What happens to those who hear the truth and refuse it? (11) Why? (12) What can be learned about the proper response to the truth?