The Lord Was With the Men
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 2
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S JUDGES.
I. Who Shall Go Up First (1:1-7)
1. What had Joshua been to the people of Israel? (1; Ex. 17:8-9, 24:13. 33:11; Num. 27:18-20; Deut. 1:38l Jos. 1:1-2, 6) Why then does their question seem logical? Why would the Lord's answer be a surprize to Israel? (2) What had they not understood that some to this day still do not understand? (Deut. 31:19-23; 1 Sam. 8:6-8; Matt. 28:18-20)
2. What was Judah's first and seemingly only concern as the leading tribe of the Israelites? (3) How is their priority similar to everyone? (Matt. 20:24-25) What did Jesus teach about priorities? (Matt. 20:26-28)
3. How did the Lord keep his word? (4-5) Why did they cut off his thumbs and big toes? (6) What had the Lord told them to do? (Deut. 20:16-18) Why is one city mentioned over the others? (8)
II. Judah Leads the Attack (1:8-16)
4. Use a map to see where Judah was concentrating their efforts. (9-11) Who was Caleb and what did he propose? (12-13; Num. 13:30-31, 14:24, 34:16-19) How was this a wise act?
5. What did Caleb's daughter tell her husband to do? (14) What did she do? (15) Why might this event be recorded?
6. Who was Moses' father-in-law and where did he move to? (16; Ex. 2:15, 21-22, 3:1, 18:1-12)
III. The Other Tribes (1:17-36)
7. Where did Judah attack next? (17-18) Even though the Lord was with the men of Judah, how was the conquest difficult? (19, 21) What can be seen in the way the Lord was working? (20)
8. While Judah and Simeon were fighting in the south what did the house of Joseph do? (22) Was the Lord with them too? What was their method of attack? (23-24) What did their method result in? (25=26) Was their method different than Judah's method? Is the advance of the gospel different today?
9. Review the rest of the tribes efforts to possess the land the Lord gave them. (27-36) Did any of them come to the help of the others? How did this compare to when Joshua lead them into the promised land?
10. The Lord has given us a command to go into all the world to preach the gospel. How are we going about this and is it different than Israel's direction to conquer the land?