Questions for Study 10
Memory Verse: 8:1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S JUDGES.
I. Tola and Jair (10:1-5)
1. Who was the next judge of Israel and how long did he reign? (1-2) Who followed him and for how long? (3) What was the one thing he was noted for? (4-5) These two judges weren't noted for doing anything worthwhile; what will be God's summery of your life? (Matt. 6:1, 16:27, 13:43, 17:1-2; Dan. 12:3)
II. Forsaking Our God and Serving the Baals (10:6-18)
2. What happened for the sixth time since Joshua died? (6a) Was the Lord response different than before? (6b-7) How might we today forsake the Lord? (John 14:23-24, James 1:22)
3. Who was the first to be attacked by their enemies? (8) Who was next? (9) What can we learn about what happens to us if we forsake the Lord?
4. What did the Israelites finally admit was the source of their problem? (10) What was the Lord's response to their repentance? (11-14) Why?
5. What did the Israelites plead? (15) What did they finally do? (16) How is the Lord's long suffering love revealed? (Exodus 34:6-7; Psalm 86:15; Joel 2:12-14; Nahum 1:3) When no Israelite stepped up in faith to lead what reward was promised? (17-18)
III. The Spirit of the Lord Came Upon Jephthah (11:1-33)
6. Who was Jephthah? (1) What did his legitimate brothers do? (2) What did their greed force Jephthah to do? (3; Luke 15:31-32)
7. Why might the Israelites seek Jephthah's help? (4-6) What did the elders of Gilead have to promise? (7-11) Who did Jephthah repeat the words before and what does this say about him?
8. What did the Ammonites claim as the reason for their attacks? (12-13) What history lesson did Jephthah give them? (14-22) What does this say about his Bible study?
9. How did he logically propose the truth to them and who did he say would judge between them? (23-27) How did the king of Ammon respond to the truth? (28) Why do so many reject the truth even when it is made plain to them? (John 3:19-21, 16:7-11)
10. When the Spirit came on Jephthah what did he do? (29-31) Who ensured deliverance? (32-33) What can we learn about how to fulfill the will of God in our lives?