The Righteous Branch
Questions for Study 18
Memory Verse: 4
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM JEREMIAH'S TIME TO ROMAN TIMES.
I. The Righteous Branch (23:1-8)
1. After the previous chapter that is about Judah's evil kings what does Jeremiah write about? (1-2) What would the Lord do for his flock? (3-4) Who is the righteous Branch? (5-6; Isaiah 4:2, 11:1-9; Jeremiah 33:14-16; John 15:1-4) What does the Lord promise about Judah's future in verses 7 and 8?
II. Lying Prophets (23:9-32)
2. What caused Jeremiah to be lowly? (9) What was the result of unjust corrupt prophets? (10) Who else was like this? (11)
3. What were the prophets messages about? (13) How can religious leaders strengthen the hands of the wicked? (14; and 2 Timothy 4:1-5)
4. What happens to religious leaders who pretend to be from God, but are only following their own desires? (12, 15) What did Jesus say about false prophets? (Matthew 7:15-20, 10:16; John 10:8, 11-13) What did Jesus warn his disciples to watch out for? (Matthew 7:15-20, 23:2-12)
5. What were the false prophets telling the people? (16-17) Do speakers of false hopes receive their words from God? (18) What is the truth about all mankind that people must be preached? (19-20; Lamentations 2:14; Romans 1:18-19, 9:22-24; Colossians 3:5-6)
6. What does it mean to stand by the Lord's council? (21-22; and 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15) Can anyone hide his motives from the Lord? (23-24; Luke 16:14-15; John 5:41-44)
7. Why is trusting in dreams dangerous? (25-26) What does dream telling produce? (27; and 1 Timothy 4:1-5) What does a true servant of God base his messages on? (28-29; and 1 Thessalonians 2:13; and 2 Timothy 2:15, 4:1-2; Hebrews 4:12-13)
8. Does the Lord leave false prophets alone? (30-31) Why? (32)
III. False Prophets (23:33-40)
9. What are we to do when someone comes to us claiming to have the word of the Lord? (33-34; 1 John 4:1-3) Where were they going to learn about God's words? (35-36) What did Jesus give so his people can know God's words? (John 14:16-17, 15:26-27, 16:12-15)
10. What is an oracle and why is it dangerous? (37-40; Deuteronomy 18:10-15; John 6:44-47) What motivates false prophets? (6-9)