The Lord is the One Who Goes to War
Questions for Study 17
Memory Verse: 20:4
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE DIVISION OF THE PROMISED LAND.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A TIMELINE FROM MOSES TO DAVID.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
I. When You Go to War (20:1-20)
1. Why don't we have to be afraid of our enemies? (1-4) What are some reasons a person could be exempt from serving in Israel's army? (5-8) Why should the fainthearted not be in the Lord's fight? (8-9)
2. What are we to do before battle? (10-15) How wasn't this true for fighting for the promised land? (16-18) What is the wise course when laying siege? (19=20) Who are we fighting against in the age we are in? (Eph. 6:10-18)
II. Atonement (21:1-9)
3. What was to be done when a dead body is found? (1-2) What was the nearest town to do? (3-4)
4. Who was to act in this kind of case and why? (5) What is the significance of washing hands over the heifer? (6-7; Gen. 15:9, 17-18) What is an atonement and how is Jesus our atonement? (8-9; Rom. 3:25-26)
III. Marry a Captive Woman (21:10-14)
5. What was allowed a captive woman? (10-11) What was she to do? (12-13)
6. What protections did she have? (14) Who are some of the men of Israel who did according to these verses? (Jos. 6:23; Matt. 1:5) What can be learned about the Lord God?
IV. The Right of the Firstborn (21:15-17)
7. What scenario is stated in verse 15? Is the man's love to be the reason for the right of the firstborn? Who is to receive the double share?
8. How does Jesus have the rights of the firstborn? (Heb. 1:5-6; Rev. 1:5) Why? (Col. 1:15-20)