I Will Avenge the Blood of My Servants
Questions for Study 7
2 Kings 8:16-9:37
Memory Verses: 9:7
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
I. Jehoram and Ahaziah Kings of Judah (8:16-29)
1. When did the next events take place? (16-17) Why might Jehoram reign while his father was still alive? What kind of king was Jehoram? What shows God's love and faithfulness at this time? (19)
2. What happened during Jehoram's reign? (20-24) How might this have happened because of Jehoram's lifestyle?
3. What kind of person was Ahaziah? (25-27) Why did Ahaziah and Joram go to war against the Arameans? (28-29) Was their plans a success?
II. Jehu Anointed King of Israel (9:1-13)
4. What hard task did Elisha give one of the junior prophets? (1-3) Did he obey? (4-5) Why did he anoint him in private? (6)
5. What was the first thing the new king of Israel was to do? (7-9) What did the Lord promise would happen to evil Jezebel? (10) Why might this be a comfort to Jehu? (1 Kings 18:4, 19:2, 21:9-11)
6. What was the Israelites opinions of the Lord's prophets? (11) What did Jehu reluctantly tell his fellow officers? (12) Why did they respond the way they did? Why are some people repulsed by God until they hear what they want to hear? (2 Tim. 4:3-5)
III. Jehu Kills Joram, Ahaziah, and Jezebel (9:14-37)
7. What had Joram been doing? What did Jehu want to keep secret? (15) Where was at Jezreel? (16)
8. What does the desertion of Joram's messengers tell us? (17-20) What can be learned about the men from their exchange in verses 21-23? Why did Jehu say Joram's body should be thrown in a field? (24-26)
9. Why might Jehu want to kill the king of Judah too? (27-29) Had the Lord told him to do this?
10. What was Jezebel's intentions? (30-31) How did Jehu respond? How was the word of the Lord fulfilled concerning Jezebel? What can be learned about how the Lord works?