Who Was Who Is and Who Is To Come
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 4
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
I. Prologue (1:1-3)
1. What does revelation mean? (1) To whom is this revelation for? How did the revelation that follows come to us?
2. In what way did John receive this revelation? (2) What does it mean to be blessed? (3) What is prophecy? How is one bless by this prophecy? What is near?
II. Greetings and Doxology (1:4-8)
3. Where were the churches that seven letters that follows were addressed to? (4) From whom does grace and peace come from? How is Jesus described in verse 5? How is our relationship with him defined?
4. What does it mean that Christians are a kingdom? (6; Dan. 2:44-45) That we are priests? (5:10, 20:6; 1 Peter 2:5, 9-10)
5. How is Jesus' soon appearance described in verse 7? Why will some people morn when he comes again? (Matt. 8:11-12, 13:40-43, 49-50, 22:13-14, 24:48-51, 25:28-30)
6. What does it mean that the Lord God is the Alpha and the Omega? (8) What does it mean that he is, was and is to come?
III. Our Defender Jesus Christ (1:9-20)
7. What is Christians state before Jesus comes? (9) Why was John on the island of Patmos?
8. What does it mean that John was "in the Spirit"? (Luke 4:1; Acts 6:3) What does it mean that the voice was like a trumpet? (10; Isa. 58:1) What do you know about the seven cities? (11) Why might churches be represented by lampstands? (12, 20; Matt. 5:14-16)
9. What does it mean someone was "like a son of man"? (13; Matt. 17:1-2; Phil. 3:20-21) How does verses 14-15 further explain this title? What does this say about the future of those who are in Christ? (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Phil. 3:20-21)
10. What does the fact that he holds seven stars in his hand reveal? (16; John 10:28-30) What does it mean "out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword"? (Heb. 4:12-13; John 1:14) Who was this one "like the son of man"? (17-18) What is Jesus about to tell John? (19)