On the Basis of Love
Questions for Study 1
Key Verse: 9a
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE BEGINNING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE BEGINNING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF PAUL'S FIRST AND SECOND MISSIONARY JOUNEYS.
BEFORE BEGINNING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF PAUL'S THIRD MISSIONARY JOURNEY.
I. Thanksgiving and Prayer (1-7)
1. Who is the sender of this letter? (1a) How did Paul identify himself? (1a,9b) Who was with him? (1, 23-24) Why do you think he only mentions Timothy in the opening of the letter?
2. Who are the recipients? (1b-2) How did they hear the gospel? (19b) What were they doing in their house? (2b)
3. What does verse 3 mean? (He starts most of his letters this way.)
4. What was Paul thankful for? (4) Why? (5)
5. What did Paul pray for? (6a) What is our faith? Why is this so important? (Acts 1:7-8) What happens when we share our faith? (6b) What should our love do?
II. Paul's Plea for Onesimus (8-25)
6. What problem seems to have happened that Paul addresses? (12a, 16a) What could Paul do in Christ but did not do? (8) Why? What can the spiritual mature learn from Paul?
7. How might Onesimus be Paul's son? What does verse 11 mean in light of new life in Christ?
8. Why was Paul sending him back? (12, 17) What personal desire did he resist? Why?
9. What did Paul speculate and what does this tell us about the life of faith?
10. What personal sacrifice was Paul going to make for both men? How did Paul ask that Philemon respond? What can we learn about how to deal with practical personal problems?
11. Why do you think Paul mentioned that he was coming? How does he close the letter? (25) What does this mean?