Jesus' First Miraculous Sign
Questions for Study 3
Key Verse: 2:11
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE JESUS' EARLY MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. Jesus Changes Water to Wine (1-11)
1. Where was the wedding feast and who was there? What problem arose, and why did Jesus' mother tell Jesus about it?
2. Why do you think Jesus answered his mother in this way? (4) What does his answer imply? What do we learn about Jesus here?
3. How did Mary respond to Jesus? How did she make an environment in which he could work? What can you learn from her?
4. What was the servants' contribution to this sign? What can we learn from their attitude and their work?
5. What does the banquet master's comment tell us about this sign? (9-10) Who knew what had happened, and who did not know? What blessings did all who attended receive?
6. What change in our lives does turning water into wine represent? (2 Cor. 5:17) In what respect does this miracle reveal Jesus' glory?
II. Jesus Clears the Temple (12-22)
7. What did the temple mean historically to the people of Israel? (Exo. 25:22; and 2 Chr. 7:12-16; Isa. 56:7) What is our temple at present? (Heb. 9:11-14; 24-26)
8. Where and when did this second event take place? What did Jesus find in the temple and what did he do about it?
9. Why do you think he acted and spoke in this way? What does he reveal about himself in this?
10. When the disciples saw Jesus' unexpected action, how did they respond? What does this show about their faith? (17)
11. When the Jewish leaders saw Jesus' actions, why did they ask for a sign? What was their motive?
12. How did Jesus respond to their question? What did he mean by his answer? What does he teach about himself?
13. Read verses 22-25. What is the difference in basis between the disciples' faith and the faith of others?