Jesus Was Crucified
Questions for Study 24
Key Verse: 19:30
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM IN JESUS' TIME.
I. They Crucified Him (16-27)
1. Think about the meaning of the crucifixion of Jesus. (See John 1:29, 20:31; Rev. 1:4b-8)
2. Read verses 16-18 and Isa. 53:7. After Pilate handed Jesus over to be crucified, who took charge? Where did they take him? What was done to him? What can we learn from Jesus' silence in pain and shame before the power of death?
3. Read verses 19-22. How did Pilate state his conviction about Jesus? Why did he write it in several languages? Why were the Jews angry? Why did Pilate refuse to change what he had written?
4. Read verses 23-24. What did the soldiers do? Instead of soldier spirit, what occupied their hearts? How did the writer view their actions? (24; Ps. 22:18)
5. Read verses 25-27. Who were the good people who stood near the cross? How did Jesus help them? What can we learn here about Jesus' humanity? What can we learn from him about the cost and the beauty of obedience to God's will? (Heb. 5:8,9)
II. The Death of Jesus (28-37)
6. Read verses 28-30. When and why did Jesus say, "I am thirsty"? What did he say after drinking the vinegar? (29-30) What can we learn from his sense of mission and his spirit? (See John 6:63) How did John see this?
7. Read verses 31-37. Why did the soldiers break the legs of the other two men on the crosses? Why did they not break Jesus' legs? What did they do instead? What is the testimony of John? (See scripture in footnote.) What is the purpose of his testimony? (Compare John 20:31)
8. Think about the meaning of Jesus' shed blood (John 1:29; and 1 John 1:7)
III. The Burial of Jesus (38-42)
9. Who buried Jesus? What information is given about Joseph? How was he changed by Jesus' crucifixion? Find Nicodemus' previous appearance in this gospel. What did he now contribute to Jesus' burial? How was he changed by Jesus on the cross?
10. What is the significance of Jesus' burial by two dignitaries?