Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind
Questions for Study 12
Key Verse: 9:5
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM IN JESUS' TIME.
I. "To Display the Work of God" (1-5)
1. When Jesus' disciples saw a blind beggar on the roadside, what did they ask Jesus? What basic assumptions about God, sin, suffering lay behind pessimistic questions?
2. How did Jesus answer? What does Jesus teach here about life's purpose? How should we view problems? What can we learn in verse 4 about the time to work for God? What did Jesus teach about himself? (5) What difference does he make? (1:9)
II. Jesus commands, "Go..." (6-7)
3. What did Jesus do to heal the man? Why did he use such things as mud and saliva? Why might the man have reacted negatively? What shows his faith? What can we learn here about how to overcome fatalism and make things work out?
III. The Man's Assurance in the Son's Grace (8-41)
4. Why did the neighbors have a hard time recognizing the man born blind? How did he testify to the neighbors? What does he know about himself?
5. When the Pharisees saw the man born blind healed, why and how did they question him? How were their opinions about Jesus divided? When they asked the former blind man's personal opinion, what did he say? (13-17)
6. Why and how did they question his parents? How and why did his parents succumb to the Pharisees' pressure? (18-23) What did they lose?
7. When they called him a second time how did they pressure him? (24) What was his answer? What did he say that angered them? (24) How did they respond? What can we learn from him?
8. What obvious truth did he teach them? (30-34) How did they punish him? What had this man lost by sticking to his convictions?
9. How did Jesus help him in his abandoned state? Why is Jesus' way of helping the best way? What did Jesus reveal about himself and how did the man respond? What did he gain by standing on Jesus' side?
10. What did Jesus teach about real blindness and real sight? Why were the Pharisees blind?