Those Who Love to be First
Questions for Study 1
3 John 1:1-14
Memory Verse: 4
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION TO 1 JOHN.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE TO 1 JOHN.
I. Greetings (1:1)
1. How does John introduce himself? To whom did he write?
II. Walking in the Truth (1:2-8)
2. What was John's prayer topics for his friend? (2) What does "even as your soul is getting along well" mean?
3. What does "faithfulness to the truth" mean? What does "continue to walk in the truth" mean? Why does John call his friend his child and what does it mean that they live in different cities? (4)
4. What kind of worker was Gaius? Did Gaius know the brothers he was serving? What can we learn?
5. What can we learn about what Gaius was doing for the brothers who were also a stranger to him from verses 6-8? What reason does John give for such hospitality? (8; Heb. 13:1-2)
III. Those Who Love to be First (1:9-14)
6. What kind of brother was Diotrephes? What does it appear he did with the letter John sent to the church in Gaius' city? (9) What does this say about his position there? (10)
7. What is gossip? Why do people gossip? Why is it so harmful and wrong?
8. Who did Diotrephes keep out of the congregation he oversaw that Gaius let into his house?
9. What advice does John give? (11-12)
10. How did John end his letter? (13-14)