Justice and Mercy Not Fasting
Questions for Study 3
Memory Verse: 6:13
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM BABYLON TIMES TO ROMAN OCCUPATION OF JUDAH.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE.
I. Crowning (6:9-15)
1. How might have Heldai, Tobijah, and Jedaiah reacted to their arrive from Babylon? (9-10) What was to be done with the silver and gold? How might have others react to the making of a crown?
2. What message was to be delivered with the crowning? (12-13) Why might the high priest not be allowed to keep the crown? (14) How does verse 15 show that this message did not concern the temple under construction in Jerusalem? What did the Lord Jesus say about His Temple? (John 2:18-22; Eph. 2:19-22; and 1 Peter 2:4-6)
II. About Fasting and a Promise (7:1-14)
3. What question resulted in the next word coming to Zechariah from the Lord? (1-3) What did the people say about their fasting during the captivity? (4-5) What did the Lord say? (6-7) Why should we fast and eat? (Rom. 14:6)
4. What does the Lord desire? (8-10a) From where does such good actions come? (10b; Matt. 9:13, 15:18-20)
5. What does it mean to have a hard heart? (11-12a; Luke 8:11-13) How does the Lord react to people with hard hearts? (12b; Mark 3:4-6) How did the Lord react to Israel and Judah when they would not change their hearts? (13-14)
III. The Restoration of Israel (8:1-23)
6. What is Zion and why is the Lord jealous for it? (1-2) What did he promise concerning it? (3) Was this fulfilled or when will it be fulfilled? (14:3-5; John 12:17-19; Acts 4:10-11)
7. When Jesus comes again how will society change? (4-5) How was this so different than what the remnant experienced? (6) What will be the nature of the relationship between the Lord and his people? (7-8)
8. How did things change after the work on the temple started again? (9-11) What did the Lord promise to give them as an inheritance? (12-13)
9. How does the Lord want his people to treat each other? (14-17) Has this desire changed? (John 13:34-35) Why will the fasts be changed to feasts? (18-19)
10. How is the gospel going out to the Gentiles prophesied? (20-22) How will the converted Gentiles interacted with the converted Jew? (23) When will this happen again?