Letters to Four Churches
Questions for Study 2
Memory Verse: 4
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE BEGINNING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP THE ROMAN PROVINCE CALLED ASIA.
I. In Ephesus (1:1-7)
1. What does it mean "to the angel of the church"? What do you know about Ephesus? (Acts 18:19-21, 24-26, 19:1, 17, 26; 1 Cor. 16:8-9; 1 Tim. 1:3-4) What was true about them that was commendable? (2-3)
2. Who is a Christian's first and forever love? (4; Matt. 22:36-40) How do we show are love? (5; John 14:15) If they that started good fell back into a sinful life, isn't it possible for us to do the same? (1 John 2:1, 5:18-20)
3. Who are the Nicolaitans and what did they practice? (6) What is promised him who overcomes? What is the tree of life? (Gen. 2:8-9, 3:22-24; Prov. 3:18-19, 11:30, 13:12, 15:4)
II. In Smyrna (1:8-11)
4. What do you know about Smyrna? (8) Who does God call his people, whether Jew or Gentile? (9; Matt. 12:48-50) Why were some Jewish Christians talking about their Jewish heritage?
5. Where does some suffering come from? (10) Why? What is promised the faithful? What is the second death? (11, 20:6, 14-15, 21:8)
III. In Pergamum (1:12-17)
6. What do you know about Pergamum? (12) What is a double-edged sword used for? What does it mean that Satan lives in their city? (13) How can believers keep their faith in Jesus under severe persecution and corruption?
7. What is Balaam's teaching and what does it mean that some teachers in their church was teaching his teachings? (14; 2 Peter 2:15-16; Joshua 24:9-10) What should we do if we fall into the trap of those false gospels? (16) What does Jesus promise if we don't? How does and will Jesus fight with the sword of his mouth? (John 18:3-6)
8. What is the first thing promised to the overcoming believers? (17a; John 6:63) What is the meaning of second gift? (17b)
IV. In Thyatira (1:18-29)
9. What do you know about Thyatira? (18) What are the purposes of eyes and feet and why does Jesus mention his? What good deeds did Jesus see in their congregation? (19)
10. Who was Jezebel in Israel's history and what grace was given to her New Testament counterpart? (20-21; 1 Kings 18:4) When she and her followers refused to repent what was promised to come? (22) What can we learn from verses 23-25 about Jesus was what he wants from his own?
11. What is promised him who overcomes? (26) How does Jesus' dealing with Jezebel foreshadow how sin will be dealt with in the Millennium kingdom? (27) What else is promised? (28-29) Notice that in verse 29 church is plural.