Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 2
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. Title (1:1)
1. What is an oracle? Who did this oracle concern and what is known about them?
II. The Lord's Kindness and Sternness (1:2-8)
2. What characteristics concerning the Lord are revealed in verse 2? How does verse 3 further reveal his character? (Exodus 34:6-7) How do these compare to Jesus? (Luke 9:52-56, 10:13-15; John 2:13-17)
3. When in Israel's history had a sea dried up and a river run dry? (4; Exodus 14:21-22; Joshua 3:15-17) When in Israel's history had mountains quaked? (5; Exodus 19:18-19; Judges 5:5) When anyone comes face to face with the Lord what happens to them?
4. Why does God pour out his wrath? (6) Can anyone resist it?
5. How does the Lord interact with those who trust him? And those who do not? (8)
III. Nineveh's Overthrow and Judah's Joy (1:9-15)
6. What was Nineveh doing? (9-11) What will be the result?
7. What did the Lord promise Judah concerning Assyria? (12-13) Does the Lord work this way in our time?
8. Did the Lord keep his promise made in verse 14? (Eze. 32:22-23)
9. What were on the mountains? (15) How was this fulfilled? (Romans 10:14-17) What happens when the good news is proclaimed?