The Sermon on the Mount (II)
Questions for Study 8
Key Verse: 17
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
I. The Fulfillment of the Law (17-20)
1. Why might have some people charged that Jesus had come to abolish the Law? (Mark 7:5) What is the purpose of the Law and the Prophets? (Matthew 22:40, Hebrews 10:7) How would Jesus fulfill them? (Colosians 1:25, Hebrews 10:16)
2. How did the Pharisees and the religious leaders of Jesus' time alter the purpose of the Law? (Mark 7:9) In what way is the design of the Law and all the words of God unchangeable? When will they be accomplished?
3. How is the greatness of the teachers of the word of God determined in the kingdom of the Messiah? Why are all the laws binding not only on the teachers but also on all Christians? (James 2:10) What does it mean that the righteousness of the Christians must surpass that of the harasses and the teachers of the law?
II. The Commandments Concerning Murder and Anger (21-26)
4. What commandment of Moses is Jesus referring to in verse 21? (Exodus 20:13) In what way is Jesus authorized to give the new laws? (John 3:11) How did Jesus redefine the sixth commandment of Moses' law? Why do you think Jesus gave such a strict law concerning anger? (22a, 1 John 3:15) How about contempt toward other Christian brothers? (22a)
5. How did Jesus emphasize the importance of reconciliation with those who are against you? (23) Why? In what way does Jesus acknowledge a Christians' accountability to the civil judicial law? (Romans 13:1)
III. The Commandments Concerning Adultery and Lust (27-32)
6. What commandment of Moses is Jesus referring to in verse 27? (Exodus 20:14) How did Jesus give the broader and deeper meaning and implication to this seventh commandment? To what extent should Christians be aware of the seriousness of their sin problem? Why?
7. What law of Moses concerned divorce? (31, Deut. 24:1,2) Why did Moses permit divorce to the Israelites? (Mk. 10:5) How did Jesus bring marriage back to its original intention?
IV. The Commandments Concerning Oaths and Truthfulness (33-37)
8. How might the teachers of the law have given a false interpretation of the law concerning oaths? (Exodus 20:16, Lev. 19:12) How did Jesus correct them?
V. The Commandments Concerning Revenge and Grace (38-48)
9. What was the purpose of the old law in verse 38? (Exodus 21:24, Lev. 24:20, Deut. 23:6) How did Jesus apply this judicial law to personal conduct? What is the general principle that Jesus is teaching here?