The Sermon on the Mount (I)
Questions for Study 7
Key Verse: 3
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE AREA AROUND THE SEA OF GALILEE.
I. The Beatitudes (1-12)
1. To whom did Jesus give his sermon? Where were they? How can Jesus' sermon in chapter 5 be divided into three sections according to its content? For whose moral standard was this sermon given?
2. How is the blessedness that Jesus teaches different from that of a worldly concept? What are the eight secrets of blessedness, that is happiness, that Jesus teaches in his sermon?
3. What does it mean to be poor in spirit? (Psalm 5:2,3; Luke 16:19) What is the blessing given to the poor in spirit? How does this make one truly happy?
4. What does it mean to mourn? (2 Corinthians 7:10) Why are those who morn blessed? (Psalm 51:1,2; Psalm 32:1,27) What does it mean to be comforted?
5. What does it mean to be meek? (Matthew 11:29, Numbers 12:3) What surprising promise is given to the meek? How does Jesus himself show the example? (Philippians 2:6-11)
6. What is righteousness? (Psalm 42:1) What does it mean to hunger and thirst for righteousness? (John 6:35) To be filled? (Matthew 6:33)
7. What does it mean to be merciful? (Luke 23:34) How can we be merciful? (John 3:16, Romans 5:8) Why must we be merciful? (Matthew 18:23)
8. What does it mean to be pure in heart? (Mark 7:21-23) How can one be pure in heart? (Philippians 6:8; Psalm 119:9,10; and 1 John 1:7) What blessing is promised to those who are pure in heart?
9. What promise is give to the peacemakers? How can we be peacemakers instead of troublemakers? How was Jesus a peacemaker?
10. Why would one be persecuted because of righteousness? (Hebrews 11:26; and 2 Timothy 4:1-8)
II. Salt and Light (13-16)
11. What are two spiritual responsibilities of God's people living in the world? What is the function of salt? How does this apply to a Christian's influence? What does it mean to lose one's saltiness?
12. Why must Jesus' people be the light of the world? (1 John 1:5; John 8:12; and 2 Kings 8:19) How can we be the light of the world?