The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven
Questions for Study 23
Key Verse: 16
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JESUS' LATER MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. A Truly Great Man in God's Kingdom (1-9)
1. What was the first question the disciples asked Jesus? What does the question reveal about them?
2. How did Jesus answer? What does it mean to be like a little child? What does it mean to humble oneself? (3-4; Numbers 12:3) How did Jesus demonstrate humility? (John 1:14; Philippians 2:5-11)
3. What does Jesus say about helping the helpless? (5) Why is this a mark of one who is great in the kingdom of heaven?
4. On the other hand, who deserves severe punishment? How and why does Jesus emphasize the seriousness of having a bad influence
5. How serious is sin? To what extent should God's people fight sin? Why is sin such a serious matter?
II. Seventy-Sevens Times (10-35)
6. Read verses 10-35. Can you find any common themes or ideas in these three stories? Is there any connection with verses 1-9?
7. Why should we not look down on weak or helpless people? What story did Jesus tell to teach God's concern for his lost ones? What can we learn here about God's shepherd heart? (see John 3:16)
8. If someone sins against us, what kind of effort must we make to solve the enmity problem? (What are some of the natural things to do? Why should we not hold a grudge or complain to others?
9. What promise does Jesus give only to people who forgive each other and who have one heard and mind?
10. In this chapter, what is the second question Peter asks? What is Jesus' surprising answer? What does this mean practically?
11. What is the story Jesus tells Peter about forgiveness? What can we learn here about how and why we forgive others?