Those Who Obtain the Kingdom of Heaven
Questions for Study 18
Key Verse: 8
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE AREA AROUND THE SEA OF GALILEE.
I. Jesus Helps People with God's Mercy (1-23)
1. Where was Jesus? (1) Why did he get into the boat? (2) What was his teaching device? (3) What is a parable? What is the common theme of the parables in this chapter?
2. Read the first parable. (3-9) Who does the sower represent? Who are represented by the four kinds of soils?
3. What happens to the seed sown in each heart soil? What makes men become like a path? (19) Like rocky soil? (20-21) Like thorny soil? (22) How can one become good soil? (23; Genesis 6:9-10) What blessing do the "good soil" people receive? (23b)
4. What does this parable mean to the disciples who must spread the word of God in a hostile and selfish world?
5. What did the disciples ask Jesus? (10) Why might they be discouraged? How did Jesus reply? (11-12) Who can understand the secrets of the kingdom of heaven? Who cannot?
6. Read 11-15. What must have discouraged Isaiah and Jesus when they gave God's message to the people? How did Isaiah's words encouraged Jesus? What do his words teach about God's work and history?
7. What blessed privileges did Jesus' disciples have? (16-17) What is our privilege?
II. The Parable of the Weeds, Seeds, and Yeast (24-43)
8. Read the next parable. (24-30) What was Jesus explanation? (36-43) Who is the one who sowed good seed? (3-7) What is the field? (3 8) Who are the good seed? The weeds?
9. What did the servants want to do about the weeds? (28) What did the owner do? (29-30) How does this parable's teaching help us to live by faith in an unjust world? (42-43, 47-52)
10. What were the next two parables Jesus taught? (31-33) What do they teach about the expanding and transforming power of the kingdom of heaven?
III. Jesus' Parables Taught to His Disciples (44-58)
11. What parables did Jesus teach his disciples? (44-52) What do they teach about attitude? About the end of the age? About the church age? When Jesus taught his hometown parables how did they respond? What did Jesus say about them? What didn't he do? What can we learn?