Come To Me and Rest
Questions for Study 16
Key Verse: 28
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE AREA AROUND THE SEA OF GALILEE.
I. The Work of God Through John and Jesus (1-19)
1. What did Jesus do after he finished instructing his twelve disciples? Where was John the Baptist at the time?
2. Why were John's disciples discouraged? (Luke 3:11-20) What did John send his disciples to ask Jesus? Why? What did Jesus tell these disciples to report to John?
3. How does Jesus' answer show him to be the Messiah? (Isaiah 29:18-19; 35:5-6; 61:1; Deuteronomy 18:15) How did his answer tell John that God is still working? What should we learn here about the work of God? What does verse 6 mean?
4. What did Jesus teach the crowd about how they must look at John and his ministry? (7-10)
5. What did Jesus teach the crowd about John? (11-15) About the value of citizenship in the kingdom of heaven? What does he teach about the work of God from John to Jesus? Before John? Why does Jesus refer to John the Baptist as Elijah? Why is it important to believe that John is the forerunner of Christ? (Malachi 4:5)
6. Why were the people of Jesus' generation especially blessed? How did Jesus describe their despair and indifference? (16-20) How does Jesus describe his own conviction that God is working? (19b)
II. Come To Me and Rest (20-30)
7. In which cities had Jesus done most of his mighty works? What response to this great love of God did Jesus long to see? Why was he sorrowful? (Note the cities with which he compared them.)
8. On the other hand, why was he joyful and thankful to God? (25-27) Who are the "little children"?
9. Why are people weary and burdened? What invitation does Jesus give us? How can we come to Jesus? How does he give rest?
10. What is a yoke? What does it mean to take Jesus' yoke? How does Jesus' yoke give us rest?