The Sermon on the Mount (VI)
Questions for Study 12
Key Verse: 24
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE AREA AROUND THE SEA OF GALILEE.
Divide the passage into four sections according to the content and find the contrasting concepts in each section.
I. The Narrow and Wide Gates (13,14)
1. What is the narrow gate? (John 10:9, John 14:6) Where does the narrow gate lead to? Why do you think Jesus used the word "narrow"? How can one go through the narrow gate? (21b, Luke 13:24)
2. What do the wide gate and broad road mean? Where do they lead to? Why do you think many people try to enter the kingdom of God through them and yet cannot enter? (21a, Luke 13:25)
II. A Tree and Its Fruit (15-23)
3. What makes it difficult for the false prophets to be distinguished from true prophets at a glance? How can we watch out for the false prophets? Why should we? (2 Timothy 2:18; 1 Timothy 6:4,5)
4. What is the principle in recognizing the true men of God and the false prophets? What do "thorns bushes and thistles" refer to? (John 15:6; Philippians 3:19) What do "grapes and figs" refer to? (John 15:2,4) What is the dreadful consequence of not bearing fruit? (19) In what respect is fruit bearing essential in Christian life? (20, 12:35; John 15:5,8)
5. How would some people who call Jesus "Lord, Lord" and work in his name assume that they would enter the kingdom of heaven? Why would some not be able to enter it?
6. What does "on that day" refer to? When will the true identity of false Christians be recognized? Why would our Lord say to them "'I never knew you, you evil doers,'" in spit of their doing many things in his name? How does this stress the meaning of true religion? (1 Corinthians 4:20; Mark 12:33) How does this give a strong warning to cultural Christians?
III. The Wise and Foolish Builders (24-28)
7. Who is wise in house building? Who is foolish? In what respect is the life of faith like house building? What is the difficulty in putting God's word into practice? What is the only way to build the solid foundation of our faith?
8. When will one's building the life of faith on the rock be revealed? How can we avoid such a disaster as illustrated in verse 27? Discuss with each other how we can practically make the Sermon on the Mount and God's word into the principle of our life.