The Beginning of the Gospel
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ AN INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF WHERE JOHN AND THE DISCIPLES WERE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A TIMELINE FROM BABYLON TO ROMAN CONTROL OVER ISRAEL.
I. John the Baptist Prepare the Way (1-8)
1. What does verse one teach us about Jesus? How did Mark begin his gospel? Why is it important that the gospel began with prophecy? Who was the prophecy about, and what was his mission to be?
2. How did John fulfill Isaiah's prophecy? (4) What did his baptism mean? How does the baptism of repentance prepare the way for Jesus?
3. How did the people respond to John's message of repentance? What does this tell us about the people and about those times?
4. Describe John's life-style. Why do you think he lived like this? How did this kind of life contribute to his mission? (Luke 1:17)
5. How did John introduce Jesus? What does this teach about John? About Jesus? Why do we need the baptism of the Holy Spirit?
II. Jesus' Baptism (9-11)
6. Why did Jesus receive baptism from John? What are the meanings of Jesus' baptism by John? How did God show his approval? What does this mean to us?
III. Jesus' Temptation (12-13)
7. What happened right after Jesus' baptism? How long was he in the desert? Why do you think it was necessary for him to be tempted by Satan at the outset of his ministry? What kind of temptations were they? (Matthew 4:1-11) Why might he have needed the angels' help? What can we learn here?
IV. The Gospel Began With Calling Disciples (14-20)
8. Why was John put in prison? What does this tell us about the environment in which Jesus began his ministry?
9. Where did Jesus begin his ministry? What was his message? Why is it called "the good news of God"? What did he mean by "the kingdom of God is near"? What did he mean by "repent and believe"?
10. Why did Jesus call disciples? Who did he call? What did he invite them to do? What would he do for them? How did they respond? What can we learn from them? From Jesus?