The Day of the Lord
Questions for Study 2
Memory Verse: 4:2
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM BABYLON TIMES TO ROMAN OCCUPATION OF JUDAH.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE.
I. The Day of Judgement (2:17-3:5)
1. Why might anyone say, "All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD"? Why might anyone ask, "Where is the God of justice"? Why does this weary the Lord?
2. Who are predicted to come and what does suddenly imply? What should have God's people realized about Jesus? (2; John 15:22-25) Why does the Lord refine his people through fire? (3-4)
3. How did Jesus execute judgment? (5) What types of activities did his word expose? How was his form of justice not what they expected? (John 3:19-21, 12:46, 6:63, 15:3)
II. Robbing God (3:6-18)
4. Why did the Lord tell them "I do not change"? What did the Lord entreat? What can be learned about the Lord?
5. How can withholding tithes and offerings be robbing God? How serious does the Lord consider tithing? Why is tithing not testing the Lord? (10) What else does he promise besides overflowing blessings? (11-12)
III. The Day of the Lord (4:1-6)
6. What are words against the Lord a symptom of? What are words against the Lord a symptom of? What were they saying and what does it imply about their motives? (14-15)
7. Where all those in Judah challenging God with questions? (16) What does the Lord promise those who fear him? (17-18) When will the Lord make up his treasured possession?
8. What is Jesus' second coming compared to? (1) What does it mean that Jesus had healing in his wings when he came the first time? (2; Mark 5:25-34, 6:56) What is common with both comings? (3)
9. What is needed to remember something? What are we to remember?
10. Who was Elijah and how was John the Baptist's ministry like his? (5; Matt. 11:11-19) What was his mission? (6; Mark 9:11-13; Luke 1:13-17, 76-80; John 1:19-28) What can we learn about how to considered great in Jesus' eyes?