Jacob Loved and Judah Unfaithful
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 1:11
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM BABYLON TIMES TO ROMAN OCCUPATION OF JUDAH.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE.
I. Jacob Loved, Esau Hated (1:1-5)
1. What is an oracle? Who did it come to? When did he live?
2. Did the Jews question God's love for them? (2) Why didn't the Lord love Jacob's brother, Esau? (3-4; Rom. 9:10-15) When the Lord deals with Edom what will the Jews realize? (5)
II. Blemished Sacrifices (1:6-16)
3. What does the Lord compare himself to in verse 6? How were their offerings to the Lord nothing like what was due him? (6b-8) How does the Lord respond to such disgrace? (9)
4. How are half hearted offerings worse than none? (10) What does the Lord foresee the nations doing when the gospel is preached? (11) How does Jesus and the apostles warn us like Malachi warned the Jews? (Matt. 6:24; Rom. 12:1-2)
5. How did they show disgrace to God? (12-13) How are vows important to God? How are promises to God made and then rationalized away? (Matt. 5:33-37)
III. Admonition for the Priests (2:1-9)
6. What is an admonition and who was one directed to? What was it? Why did he give it?
7. How would the priest's descendants be affected by their contentment toward the Lord? (3-4) How was their ancestor, Levi different then they were? (5-6) What can be learned?
8. How are we like the priests of the Old Testament? (7; 1 Peter 2:9-10; James 3:9-12) How can our words cause stumbling? (8; Matt. 16:21-23) What will happen to those whose words cause others to stumble? (9; Mark 9:42-47)
IV. Judah Unfaithful (2:10-16)
9. What does it mean to break "faith with one another"? What were the men doing? (11-12) Why is marriage with a true believer so important? (2 Cor. 6:14-18)
10. Why wasn't the Lord accepting their offerings? (13-14) What is one thing the Lord seeking through marriage? (15) Why is divorce hated? (16) What did Jesus have to say about marriage and divorce? (Matt. 5:31-32, 19:3-12)