The Son of Zechariah
Questions for Study 3
Memory Verse: 69
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
TO SEE WHERE THEY WERE PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF GALILEE.
I. The Birth of John the Baptist (57-66)
1. What was the response of the relatives and neighbors when Elizabeth gave birth to a son? Why did they view it this way?
2. What did it mean for the parents in Israel to circumcise their babies? How was everyone going to name Zechariah's and Elizabeth's son?
3. How did Elizabeth want to name the baby? Why? What did Zechariah write when he was asked about the son's name? What does this show about his faith? What do you think he learned through God's training?
4. What happened to Zechariah as soon as he wrote his son's name and dedicated him to the Lord? How did the neighbors and the people respond to this event? What does it mean by, "For the Lord's hand was with him"?
II. Zechariah's Song (67-80)
5. Who enabled Zechariah to sing the song of praise? (67) What are the two main point where Zechariah refers to Jesus in his song? (69, 78) What does, "horn of salvation" mean? (69, Ps. 148:14, Dan. 8:21, Hos. 5:8, Ex. 27:2)
6. What was the main thing Zechariah prayed for in verse 68? Why did he use the words, "He has come"?
7. Who was regarded as the Israelites worst enemy in Zechariah's time? (70-71) Who is mankind's worst enemy from God's point of view? (Rev. 17:3) How does Satan's horn impale people? (Heb. 2:14-16) What are the results? (Rom. 1:29-31)
8. What is God's holy covenant with Abraham? (72-74a; Gen. 12:2) How has it become a great blessing to us? What is the immediate results of God's rescuing us from the hands of our enemies? (74b-75) Why is this a great blessing to us?
9. Who does the rest of Zechariah's song refer to? (76a) What will be the special mission of Zechariah's son? (76b-77)
10. What does Zechariah's song tell us about the nature of the salvation God is giving us through Jesus? (78-79) How does Jesus, the rising sun, dispel the darkness of the shadow of death from our hearts? (Ps. 37:6; Mal. 4:2) What does he give us?
11. How did God bless baby John?