Jesus Teaches About Prayer
Questions for Study 22
Memory Verse: 2
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE JESUS' LATER MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. The Lord's Prayer (1-4)
1. What does it mean that Jesus prayed? What request did his disciples make of him? Why? (When had they seen Jesus pray before? [9:18, 29, etc.]) Why did they mention John's disciples?
2. What are the prayer topics Jesus gave? (2-4) Which ones are about God's concerns, and which are about our personal needs and problems?
3. How does Jesus teach us to address God? What does it mean to call God "Father"? What does this teach about our basic relationship with him? What does it mean that we all call him Father? (Matthew 6:9 -"our")
4. What does "Hallowed be you name" mean? What does it man practically to honor or glorify God's name? (John 17:4; 1 Pt 4:13) What does it mean to dishonor his name? (Romans 2:24)
5. What does it mean to pray "Your kingdom come"? (Mt 6:10) What does it mean personally? For the world and history?
6. What is the first petition about our personal needs? Why "daily"? (Proverbs 30:8b, 9a; Exodus 16:14-21) What does it mean to pray for "our" daily bread?
7. What is the second petition about our personal need? Why is it important to ask for forgiveness? How can we receive the grace of forgiveness? (John 3:16; Mt 1:21; John 1:29) Why must we forgive others? (Matthew 18:21-35)
8. What is the third personal petition? Why should we pray not to be led into temptation? (1 Peter 5:8; and 1 Corinthians 10:12)
II. The Spirit of Prayer (5-13)
9. What does the parable in verses 5-8 teach about the effectiveness of bold and persistent prayer? What are the instructions and promises in verses 9 and 10? What do verses 11-13 teach about God and prayer? About the best gift God wants to give us if we ask?
III. Jesus and Beelzebub (14-28)
10. Why were some amazed at Jesus' and others condescending? (14-16) Who is Beelzebub? How is asking for a sign like this wrong? How did Jesus show that the Pharisees' thinking was nonsense? (17-20) What should have Jesus work signify to them? (20) Who is the strongman who is stronger than the devil?
11. What does verse 23 mean? In the parable what does the evil spirit do to a man? (24-26) What is the result of an unrepentant heart? How does this parable illustrate the root problem of the self-righteous and legalistic Pharisees?
12. How did a woman have the wrong concept of being blessed?