The First Will Be Last and the Last First
Questions for Study 19
Memory Verse: 44
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE JESUS' LATER MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. The Healing of a Boy with an Evil Spirit (37-45)
1. What problem was Jesus confronted with upon coming down from the mountain were he had been transformed? (37-40) What can be learned from Jesus' response? (41-43)
2. What did Jesus tell them, compariting it to what he had told them only around two weeks earlier? (22, 44)
II. Who Would Be the Greatest (46-48)
3. What argument arose among the disciples? What does this argument reveal about the hopes and aspirations of the disciples?
4. How did Jesus teach them about true greatness? (47-48) What does it mean to welcome a child? To do it in Jesus' name? How did the disciples' idea of greatness differ from Jesus'?
III. Sons of Thunder, James and John (49-56)
5. Why did John stop the man who was driving out demons in Jesus' name? What does this show about him? How was Jesus' idea different?
6. Why was Jesus resolute to get to Jerusalem? (22, 44, 51) Why did the Samaritans not welcome Jesus? (52-53) How did James and John react? What does this event show about them? Why did Jesus rebuke them?
IV. The Cost of Following Jesus (57-62)
7. What did Jesus teach the man who volunteered to follow him anywhere? What do you think Jesus perceived as this man's spiritual problem?
8. When Jesus invited another man to follow him how did he respond? What was wrong with his priorities? What either/or choice did Jesus give him? What does this mean to us?
9. What did Jesus teach the man who wanted to go back to say good-bye to his family? What did this man have to overcome to be fit for the kingdom of God?
10. Considering Jesus responses in this study can you see his heart desire? (Heb. 12:2-3) What does it cost to be a Jesus' disciple? (Rom. 12:1-2)