Questions for Study 16
Memory Verse: 25
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE A CHART COMPARING JESUS' PARABLES.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF GALILEE.
I. Lamps (16-18)
1. What is a lamp used for? What do people do in order to fulfill its purpose? How is this related to verse 17? When and how will the hidden things will be revealed? (18)
II. Jesus' Mother and Brothers (19-21)
2. What was Jesus doing when his family came to see him? Why did they come? (Mark 3:20-21, 31-35) Why could they not get near him? How did he use this opportunity to teach?
III. Let's Go Over to the Other Side of the Lake (22-25)
3. Thinking about the disciples life with Jesus, what might have been the disciples mood as they got into the boat with Jesus to cross the lake? What does Jesus' falling asleep in the boat reveal about him?
4. What happened? Why is this surprising? (Luke 5:9-11) What did the disciples do when they reached their human limits? What did they believe about Jesus?
5. What did Jesus do? (24b) What does this reveal about him? What does this teach us about faith and fear? (25a; Heb. 11:27) What was the disciples response to Jesus? What answer is implied in their question? What difference should it make?
IV. Jesus Saves a Man Possessed by Demons (26-39)
6. Who meet them when they landed? How had others tried to deal with him? Why? What was his reaction to Jesus? (28) Why?
7. How did Jesus respond to the man? (29) Why? How was Jesus' treatment different from others? Why did Jesus ask him, "What is your name?" How did the Gerasenes man answer Jesus' question about his name?
8. What requests did the demons make of Jesus? What was Jesus' response? What happened to the pigs? What does this suggest?
9. What did these pigs mean to the townspeople? Why do you think Jesus allowed their destruction? What does this show about their value system?
10. How had this man been changed outwardly? What mission did Jesus give him and why? How did he respond? What can we learn from this event about the grace and mercy of God?