Questions for Study 9
Memory Verse: 8:1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S JUDGES.
I. Abimelech Kills His Brothers (9:1-21)
1. Who was Abimelech and what ambition did he have? (1-2) Why would he need to go to Shechem for help? (8:30-31) How did Gideon's actions (like having many wives and a concubine) after victories ensure trouble for Israel? (8:27)
2. What was committed? (3-6) What story did Abimelech's only surviving brother tell? (7-15) How did it depict Abimelech's followers? (18)
3. If they were honorable what did Jotham predict would happen? (16-17, 19) If they were not what did he predict? (20-21) Why is our choice of leaders so important? (1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9)
II. God Avenged Jerbul-Baal's Murdered Sons (9:22-41)
4. Did the alliance between Abimelech and Shechem last? (22-25) Who did God send between them and why? What can we learn about God's dealings with his people?
5. Who did the evil spirit motivate and how? (26-29) Why do you think the governor was Abimelech's supporter in the city? (30-33) What can we learn about what happens when selfish people rule over others? (Pro. 18:1; Psalm 119:36-37; James 3:13-18)
6. How did the battle between Abimelech and Gaal play out? (34-41)
III. Abimelech's Big Head is Crushed (9:42-57)
7. How was Shechem's confidence in peace after driving out Gaal displayed? (42) What had they forgotten about Abimelech's character? How did they pay for this mistake? (43-45)
8. What did Abimelech ensure? (46-49) Why would a selfish ambitious man ensure that everyone who betrayed him die? How is Jesus the opposite? (Phil. 2:5-11)
9. With self confidence boosted what did Abimelech do? (50) What happened to him? (51-53)
10. How was Abimelech's character displayed even when he was about to die? (54-55) How did God work through all this? (56-57) What can we learn about seeing the hand of God in all situations?