Questions for Study 5
Memory Verse: 3:1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S JUDGES.
I. I Will Sing and Make Music to the Lord (5:1-8)
1. What did Deborah and Barak do? (1, 3) What does it mean to offer ourselves? (2; Rom. 12:1-2; and 1 Peter 2:4-5) How do both of these acts bring glory to God? (Exodus 19:16-20)
2. What does verses 4 and 5 refer to? (Exodus 19:16-20) What can be learn about praising God? (Psalm 42:4, 77:10-15)
3. What was life like in Israel when they served other gods? (6-8) How does this explain what can happen in our lives? (Eze. 9:9-10; Matt. 11:20; Luke 13:1-5)
II. Israel's Princes (5:9-23)
4. Since Israel didn't have kings yet, who were Israel's princes at this time? (9) What were they instructed to do? (10-12) Are we to do the same?
5. What is depicted in verses 13-15a? Where were these lands and peoples? What might this mean?
6. What does it mean to search one's heart? (15b-17) What tribes did not come to the aid of the others? Why is it that some know what is right and yet do not do it? (Heb. 3:15, 4:1-2) Who did fight? (18)
7. Where did the kings come to fight against the Lord? (19-22) What happened to them? (23) What does this foreshadow?
III. Jael is Blessed (5:24-31)
8. Who does the praise turn to? (24-25) What was she praised for? (26-27)
9. Why does the song turn to Sisera's mother? (28) What was assumed at Sisera's court? (29-30) Why should we not be afraid even if the enemy is confident? (Rom. 8:31-35)
10. What is the future of God's enemies? What is the future of God's people? How long did the land have peace?