The Religion of Micah
Questions for Study 16
Memory Verse: 8:1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE DIVISION OF CANAAN.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S JUDGES.
I. Micah Returns the Money He Stole (17:1-2)
1. Who was Micah and where did he live? (1, 5) Where was the tabernacle and the ark of the covenant at this time? (20:26-28a; Deut. 12:11-14; and 1 Samuel 2:9-10, 2:22, 4:10-11, 14:2-3; and 2 Samuel 7:4-7; and 2 Chron. 6:18) What does this say about Micah's faith and understanding of God?
2. What did Micah say to his mother? (2) What does it say that he stole from his mother? And that he didn't confess until he heard his mother curse?
3. What did his mother say when Micah confessed his theft? What might it mean that she used the name of the Lord?
II. Make an Idol With the Money (17:3-6)
4. What did the mother say concerning the returned silver? (3) How is this a perverse understanding of the Lord? (Exodus 20:2-6)
5. How much of the eleven hundred pieces of silver did she give to the silversmith? (4) Where did they put the idol?
6. Who became the priest in Micah's religion? (5) Who did the Lord say should be priests? (Exodus 29:4-9) What reasons are given for such creation of new religions? (6) Who is Israel's king? (Num. 23:21; Deut. 33:2-5; Judges 8:23; and 1 Sam. 8:7-8)
III. A Levite for Micah's Religion (17:7-13)
7. Where had the young Levite live in verse 7? Was this a city designated for the Levites? (Joshua 21:9-16) What did he decide to do?
8. What did Micah ask him? (9) What did Micah propose? (10) What does all this show about the priesthood at this time?
9. How did the young man become the family priest?
10. How did Micah see the Lord according to verse 13? How did Jesus teach us that God does not seek people who see him only as their benefactor? (Mat. 6:33; John 4:23-24)