Jephthah Foolish Vow
Questions for Study 11
Memory Verse: 8:1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S JUDGES.
I. Jephthah's Daughter (11:34-40)
1. Who was Jephthah? (1, 5-6, 32) What vow did he make thinking it will assure victory? (30-31) Did the Lord require such vows? (Deut. 12:31, 23:21-23; Lev. 22:18-19, 27:9-13; Num. 30:2; Eccl. 5:4-6)
2. Who was the first to walk out of the house when he returned home? (34) Did he expect a member of his family to be the first to exit his home? (35) What did he expect?
3. What kind of girl would respond to her father's horrible news as Jephthah's daughter did? (36-37) What did she do that began a tradition? (38-40) What does God really want of us? (Mark 12:32-34; Heb. 10:3-10; Rom. 12:1)
II. Jephthah and Ephraim (12:1-7)
4. Why might the Ephraimites make the threat in verse 1? How did Jephthah respond? (2-3) How is our choice to serve the Lord similar? (Matt. 5:38-42)
5. What untrue words lead to civil war? (4) What can be learned about watching our words? (James 3:3-8; Prov. 12:25)
6. What can we learn about the nature of this civil war from the method used to distingish Ephraimites? (5-6) How long was Jephthah judge? (7)
III. Ibzan, Elon, and Abdon (12:8-15)
7. Who was the next judge? (8) What was he noted for? (9-10)
8. Who was the next judge? (11-12)
9. Who was the next? (13) What was he noted for? (14-15)
10. What can be learned from this book about sinful men governing themselves even when they have the word of God, prophets, and God anointed leaders? What kind of leadership does mankind need?