Contend for the Faith
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 4
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
I. Greetings (1:1-2)
1. Who is the sender of the letter? When does this appear to have been written? (17a) How did he address the recipients?
2. What three things were they to have in abundance? (2) What is mercy? What is peace? What is love?
II. The Sin and Doom of Godless Men (1:3-16)
3. What is the salvation we share and how was it obtained? (Acts 4:10-12) What did he write to them about instead of the salvation we share? (3b) What does it mean to "contend for the faith"? Who is it entrusted to?
4. Why did he have to write to them? (4a) How are these men described? (4b, 8a, 12-13, 16) What does it imply that they "secretly slipped in among them"? In what can someone deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord? Is this possible today?
5. What is the first example given as a warning? (5; Ex. 32:27-28, Num. 14:20-23) The second example? (6) The third example? (7a) What example do they serve to us? (7b) What is similar with the three examples?
6. How are the men who secretly slipped in like the examples given? (8) What example of humility is given? (9) How were the slanderous men different? (10) What can we learn?
7. Who was Cain, Balaam, and Korah and how were the secret godless men like them? (11; 1 John 3:12; 2 Peter 2:15-16; Rev. 2:14; Num. 16:1-3) What can we learn from these three examples?
8. Who was Enoch? (14a; Gen. 5:21-24; Heb. 11:5) What did he prophecy? Considering this, how should we conduct ourself in these last days?
III. Keep Yourself in God's Love (1:17-25)
9. What did the apostles warn us about godless men amongst us? (17-18) What is the difference between natural instincts and the leading of the Spirit? (19)
10. What seven bits of advice are given in verses 20-23?
11. When will Jesus present us and to whom? (24) To whom will we be presented? (25) Considering this how then should we live? (Matt. 10:32-33) Considering this how then should we live? (Matt. 10:32-33; and 2 Cor. 5:6-10)