They Resorted to Ruse
Questions for Study 7
Memory Verse: 8
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE DIVISION OF CANAAN.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S JUDGES.
I. Make a Treaty With Us (9:1-6)
1. Who saw what the Lord had done for Israel to the kings east of the Jordan, at Jericho, at Ai, and at the crossing of the Jordan? (1)
2. How was Gibeon's response different? (3-4a, 10:2) What are some responses when someone is confronted with the truth? (Luke 8:4-8)
3. What was the nature of Gideon's ruse? (5-6) Was their plan moral, ethical, and righteous? How do you respond when confronted with a seemingly life threatening situation?
II. We Have Heard of Your Lord (9:7-13)
4. What was Israel's initial response to the Gibeonites? (7) How did the Gibeonites use flattery? (8a) How can we tell between truth and a deception? (John 14:6-7; Rom. 12:1-2)
5. Did Joshua initially believe them? (8b)
6. Review the Gibeonites story in verses 9-13? Mark out the words of truth and the lies. How does Satan use this same tactic today? What kind of people mix truth and lies? (John 8:44) How should we live our lives? (John 4:23-24)
III. Gibeonites Made Woodcutters (9:14-27)
7. What mistake did Israel make? (14) What did they do? (15) What happened to the Gibeonites after this? (2 Sam. 21:2-3; and 1 Chron. 12:4; Neh. 3:7) What can we learn about what to do in a time of decision? (Heb. 5:7; Phil. 4:6-7)
8. When confronted with the truth what did Israel do? (16-18) What did they know would happen if they broke their oath? (19-21) What can we learn?
9. What was the nature of the curse on Gibeon? (22-23) Was the Gibeonites acting in faith that pleases God? (24-25) Did they know that the Israelites would keep their oath?
10. Was there an altar to the Lord at this time? (Ex. 30:1-6, 40:26-27) Was it permanent? Would there be a permanent altar? (26-27) Is an altar needed now?