Jonah Rejects His Call
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 1:17
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE KINGDOMS OF ISRAEL AND JUDAH.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM BABYLON TIMES TO ROMAN OCCUPATION OF JUDAH.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. The Lord Calls Jonah (1:1-3)
1. Who is Jonah? (1) Where did the Lord tell him to go to? Did Jonah obey? (3) Why might he do this? (4:2) How have some Christians neglected the mission the Lord gave the church?
II. Jonah Sin Exposed (1:4-10)
2. Was Jonah able to get away from the Lord? How was Jonah's reaction different than the sailors? What does this say about the reluctant prophet?
3. Was the captain's request reasonable? (6) How did the sailors discover that the threatening storm was Jonah's fault? How does this show that the lives of believers affect others? (Matt. 5:13-16)
4. What did they want to know from Jonah? What did he tell them? Why might they react as they did?
III. Jonah Confesses His Sin (1:11-17)
5. What did the fearful sailors ask Jonah? How did he respond? When did they finally agree to his request? (13-16) How was the sailors attitude toward the Lord different than Jonah's?
6. How did the Lord show his love for the reluctant prophet Jonah? How did Jonah's experience foreshadow Jesus death and resurrection? (Matt. 12:40-41, 16:2-4; Luke 11:30)
IV. Jonah Prays (2:1-10)
7. Where was Jonah when he prayed? What was it equivelant to? (2) How does he describe his experience? (3, 5) How was Jesus (and someday us) rescued from the grave? (Acts 13:34-39)
8. What did Jonah believe even though he had sinned? (4) Why? (6) How does this again foreshadow the resurrection? (John 11:25-26)
9. Was Jonah to wrong and to far away for his prayer to reach the Lord? (7) How is the Lord better than idols? Where did Jonah and does our salvation come from? (9)
10. Did the Lord honor Jonah's repentance and confession? (10) What must have he looked like when he exited the fish? How is the grace and love of God displayed in this part of Jonah's life? (Exodus 34:6-7; Rom. 8:38-39)