Jesus Heals an Invalid Man
Questions for Study 6
Key Verse: 5:8
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM IN JESUS' TIME.
I. "Do you Want to Get Well?" (1-7)
1. Describe the crowd waiting around the pool of Bethesda. Why were they waiting? Think about their attitudes toward one another as they waited. How is this scene like our world?
2. To which one of the crowd did Jesus speak? What kind of sinner did this man represent? What did Jesus ask him? Why do you think Jesus asked him this? (Was it possible that he might not want to be healed? Why?)
3. Did he answer Jesus' question? What does his answer reveal about him?
II. "Get up! Pick up you Mat and Walk!" (8-9a)
4. What command did Jesus give this man? How did he respond? In what way were Jesus' words the voice of God to this man?
III. "Stop sinning, or..." (9b-15)
5. Why did the Jews rebuke the man who had been sick? Who did he blame? Why do you think Jesus told him (verse 14) to stop sinning? Did he?
IV. The Son Gives Life (16-47)
6. Why did they persecute Jesus? What did Jesus teach the Jews about himself in verses 17 and 18? Why did this make them more angry?
7. What did he teach them about his work in verses 17-22? How does this explain the healing of the paralyzed man? What work will the Son of God do when he comes again?
8. Think about verse 24. What promise does Jesus give to those who hear his word and believe in God who sent him? What does this mean to the invalid? To us?
9. Who are the witnesses that testify about Jesus? (31-37, 39, 47)
10. Why didn't the Jews believe in Jesus in the face of such overwhelming evidence? (38, 40, 42, 43)