I Am Returning To My Father
Questions for Study 25
Key Verse: 20:17
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
I. The Empty Tomb (1-9)
1. On which of the women who went to the tomb early Sunday morning does John focus? (1a; Mt. 28:1; Lk. 24:10)
2. Where had she been during the crucifixion and burial? (19:25, 40-42; Lk. 23:55) Why did she go to the tomb? (Mk. 16:1)
3. What did she notice? (1b) What did she do? (2a) What conclusion did she draw? (2b)
4. Notice how John identifies himself (2; 19:26) Why do you think he spoke of himself this way?
5. How did Peter and John react? (3) What does this show us about the character of each one? (4-7a)
6. What did John observe inside the tomb? (7b-9) What was puzzling about the strips of linen and the burial cloth that had been around Jesus' head?
7. What did John think about what he saw? (8) What does the author's parenthetical comment mean? (9)
II. Jesus Appears to Mary Magdalene (10-18)
8. After the disciples went home, what did Mary do? (10-12) What did she see and hear? (13a) What reason did Mary give for crying? (13b)
9. Why didn't she recognize him? (14) When Jesus spoke to her, how did she answer? (15)
10. What does this scene reveal about Jesus? (16a) When did she recognize him? (16b) About Mary?
11. What mission did Jesus give Mary? (17) What did this message mean? What was the good news she told them? (18)