Jesus, A Kernel of Wheat
Questions for Study 17
Key Verse: 12:24
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE JESUS' LATER MIISTRY TRAVELS.
I. "A Kernel of Wheat" (20-36)
1. What message did Jesus send (by whom) to the intellectual Greeks when they came to meet him? What does it mean for a kernel of wheat to die? To remain only a single seed? How is one's life like a kernel of wheat?
2. How do verses 25 and 26 explain the "kernel of wheat"? What two kinds of living are described here? What is the reward given those who follow Jesus?
3. How is Jesus himself like a kernel of wheat? Read verses 27 and 28. What does this tell us about Jesus' personal struggle? What is Jesus' heart desire? His prayerful decision? How did God confirm his decision?
4. What did Jesus teach about the manner of his death? (32,33) Its meaning? (30-32) What does it mean to drive out the prince of this world? To draw all men to himself?
5. What invitation did he give to the Jewish leaders, to his disciples and to us? What does it mean to walk in the light? Why is it imperative to do so? How did the crowd respond? (34) Why? (34-36)
II. Many Even Among the Leaders Believed in Him (37-50)
6. Why did the Jewish leaders not believe in Jesus in spite of many miraculous signs? (9-10; 18-19; 34) What does "the arm of the Lord" mean? (see Isa 53:1)
7. What light do the verses from Isaiah 6 throw on the problem and meaning of unbelief? (38-41) Why did many who knew better decide not to believe? (42-43)
8. What is Jesus' final word to them about who he is and why he came, and about the serious consequences of rejecting him and his word?