Jesus, the Good Shepherd
Questions for Study 13
Key Verse: 10:11
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM IN JESUS' TIME.
I. The Shepherd of the Sheep (1-10)
1. To whom is Jesus speaking? Who acted as a good shepherd to the man born blind? (chapter 9) Who did not? Why?
2. When a man climbs over the fence, what does this reveal about him? What does entering by the gate mean? How are the motives of the one who does not enter by the gate different from those of one who does?
3. What does the shepherd know about his sheep? What is the significance of this? (Ps. 139:2,3) How does he care for them? (Ps. 23:1, 2) What does it mean that he goes ahead of them? (4) What is the spiritual lesson?
4. What do the sheep know about the shepherd? Why is this important? (4-5; Ps. 100:3) How can we know the voice of our Shepherd, God? (Ro. 1:18-21; Ps. 53:1) Did Jesus' listeners understand him? Why? (8:44, 47)
5. What claim does Jesus make in verse 7? What did he mean? (1; 14:6) What does he promise to those who enter through him? (7, 9, 10b) What does this mean? Is there any other way to God? What does he say about all others? What proves his charge? (8, 10a)
II. "I am the Good Shepherd" (11-21)
6. What does Jesus claim about himself? (11, 14a) What shows that Jesus is the good shepherd? (11, 14-18; and 1 Sa. 17:34-36, 45-47) In what respect is he a good sheep to God? (14b, 15, 17, 18b) Why is this important?
7. How does the hired hand act in time of crisis? Why? (12, 13) How does he resemble the shepherd? How and why is he basically different?
8. What did Jesus say about "other sheep"? (16) Who is he talking about? Why do all people need a shepherd? Why did Jesus lay down his life for the sheep? (17, 18; Isa. 11:6) What does this teach about God? (Isa. 42:6; 49:6; 56:6) How can there be one flock and one shepherd?
9. How can we be good sheep of Jesus, and good shepherds of his flock?
10. How did those listening respond to Jesus' words? What was the undeniable evidence that he is the good shepherd?