God is Sovereign and Benevolent
Questions for Study 9
Key Verse: 36:5
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
I. What Advantage Has a Righteous Man? (35:1-16)
1. Read 35:1-3. Did Job say these things? Did he imply them? What does "righteous" mean in verse 7? In his reply to Job in 4-7 Elihu asked two questions; what is their answers? (8)
2. When suffering comes what do people usually ask? (9) What isn't in man's natural nature? (10-11, Rom. 3:9-18) How does this help us understand God's ways? (12-16, James 4:6) How then can we know God? (Jer. 1:5, John 15:15)
II. The Function of Suffering as Discipline (36:1-25)
3. Is Elihu's self proclamations in 36:1-4 correct? See the Lord's rebuke in 42:7.
4. What is the heart of Elihu's second point? (5) What does he say is God's purpose? (6-7) How are the righteous to be kings forever? (1 Peter 2:9-10, and 1 Tim. 6:15, Rev. 19:16)
5. What is one way that God gets our attention in hope of us repenting? (8-10, Heb. 12:5-11) What does God do when we listen to his discipling? (11) What does God do if we don't listen to his correction? (12)
6. What are we warned of? (18-21) What are some ways we can praise God? (24)
III. God's Creating Power (36:26-37:24)
7. What truth does he declare in 36:26? Since Jesus is the LORD God, what does this tells us about him? (John 1:1-4, 14, 14:10, 17:11, 20:28; Heb. 1:3)
8. What is Elihu describing in verses 36:27-30? What does he compare that to? (36:28-33) What does this mean?
9. What does he say about God's voice? (37:1-13) What does Elihu ask Job? (14-24) How does he conclude? Remember Elihu's comments as we study the Lord's words in the next study.